(RIGHT-CLICK TO DOWNLOAD)
I blame my mother...ok...it's ALL HER FAULT!
I am so sure i would be touring the world, would have won at least two grammys and have legions of "cute boy" groupies
to wait on me IF...she would've just let me play guitar!!
I was always fascinated by the instrument...had my uncle's old cast-off acoustic guitar to drag around...singing "jolene"
at the top of my voice! You'd think that would've convinced her i was a shoe-in for a country western singer...but, no...she insisted on the piano
. Which is a beautiful instrument, don't get me wrong! But, as a kid, i envisioned myself as a radical rocker like pat benatar
or a sensitive balladeer like emmylou
. Keep in mind this was pre-tori
and I had never heard of laura nyro
...she might've changed my mind.
Mom had always wanted to play piano...so she projected. No one could see a kick-ass pair of red cowboy boots
under that big box...and i couldn't moonwalk
across the stage with a friggin' piano
. But mom thought it was too masculine of an instrument. I must be a lady
...well, mom, nice try.
I gave up on piano after a couple of frustrating years...and, again, in junior high had the opportunity to learn another instrument. I was hopeful yet again. Arghhh, maaa-uuum...the clarinet
??? I was destined for a geeky existence...thus...my mother ruined my career as a rock goddess
That's ok...i am fulfilled as a library rock star
...and have my own "book groupies"
, as sad as that sounds. I can also keep library books out for a month at a time and no one can do a THING! See...I'm a born rebel
If only I could play the guitar...ani
would have a run for her money!Enjoy this mix of women whose mothers weren't totally square!!
So, mom...this podcast's for you! :)LINK to this podcast's featured artist: ANAIS MITCHELL
1. (00:00)All I Need by Over The Rhine
2. (4:41)I Fought the Angels by The Delgados
(source: chemikal underground records)
3. (6:45)How It Is by Holly Figueroa
4. (10:09)Raven's Wings by Amy Martin
5. (13:57)Sometimes by Abigail Washburn
6.(16:35)The Jewel of Abilene by Grey de Lisle
7. (18:57)Rosemary Moore by Caitlin Cary
8. (24:01)She Really Wants You (live) by Aimee Mann
9. (27:13)Easy To Be Around by Diane Cluck
10. (30:43)Warmer Place to Hide by Rai
11. (34:00)Butterfly by Emma Bender
12. (37:20)Fools in Love by Inara George
(source: cool hand bak)
13. (41:51)Sparkle and Fade by Krystal Warren
14. (44:06)Quelqu'un M'a Dit by Carla Bruni
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
15. (46:44)Gatekeeper by Feist
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
16. (49:00)Trouble (live) by Ray Lamontagne
(source: blog this way)
17. (52:47)Lucky Penny by Eddi Reader
(source: paste music)
18. (56:17)Breathe (acoustic) by Sarah Severson
19. (59:53)The Song They Sang When Rome Fell by Anais Mitchell
20. (1:03:00)Time Falling Down by Cindy Alexander